Easy Caramel Slice
This Caramel Slice is absolutely divine and so incredibly easy to prepare. The best part would have to be that it only requires 5 ingredients so it’s super budget friendly.
250g packet of Arnott’s Malt ‘o’ milk biscuits
Two 395g tins of sweetened condensed milk
(Nestle and Woolworths Homebrand are the best for this recipe)
90g melted butter
250g bag of Cadbury or Nestle milk chocolate melts
Hot tip – To avoid the chocolate cracking when it’s time to slice, add half a teaspoon of vegetable oil to the chocolate once you’ve melted it. Stir through well, it doesn’t alter the taste at all just ensures perfect pinterest worthy slices!
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C fan forced.
2. Blitz the biscuits in a food processor until they resemble sand like crumbs and then add the melted butter and blitz again to combine. Press into a slice or cake tin lined with baking paper and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3. Pour the condensed milk over the base, reduce oven temp to 160c fan forced and bake for 70 minutes.
The slice will look dark and may bubble but that’s exactly what you want as it will add a nice caramelised chew factor to your slice.
4. Carefully remove slice from oven. If any of the sides are elevated gently press down with the back of a spoon so you get a nice even layer ready for the chocolate.
5. Melt chocolate in the microwave (30 second bursts) or using a double boiler, mix through the vegetable oil and then pour onto the slice spreading evenly with a spatula.
6. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours or until the chocolate is set and cut into small squares or fingers.
This slice can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week (although I doubt it will last that long), and also freezes and defrosts beautifully.